Green Salon and Green Clinic are a voluntary organisation for salons that would like to prove they can avoid harmful chemistry, take care of their customers and employees and that they work on improving their environmental impact in terms energy, waste, consumption and strain on nature.
In order to become a certified Green Salon or Green Clinic, the salon must live up to the 10 criteria stated below, which also includes the products in the salon. In the criteria, you will find the formal criteria of a certified Green Salon and Green Clinic, and additionally a number of suggestions to improve environmentally. The 10 mandatory criteria are:
1. The daily manager has knowledge of chemistry and health
The salon manager has participated in the Green Salon course in chemistry, occupational safety, and health in hairdressing.
2. The salons’ owner and staff has obtained a nationally recognised hairdresser training
Apprentices must be engaged in a recognised education programme.
3. No harmful substances from the Green Salon List of Banned Chemicals
The owner, employees and apprentices are not allowed to use products containing these substances in the salon.
Products for resale, makeup and dyeing of eyebrows and eyelashes may not contain substances from the Green Salon List of Banned Chemicals. Products with substances on the Green Salon List of Banned Chemicals must be phased out before the salon can become a certified Green Salon.
4. The Salon is particularly attentive to allergy and hypersensitivity
Before a treatment, the client is asked if he/she is allergic to certain substances.
If an allergic reactions occurs, the customers are advised to contact their doctor.
5. Bleaching of hair must not come into contact with the scalp
6. All cleaning is done using eco-labeled cleaners
7. If the salon offers refreshments to customers, these must be organically produced
8. The owner must participate in a Green Salon Brush-up Course every second year
9. The owner must instruct the staff on the importance of Green Salon as described in the Green Salon handout (see www.groensalon.com)
10. Electricity should be purchased as certified green electricity from windmills etc.